№ 5 How to start on KETO safely even when on а Hashimoto Protocol (part 1)
I will not be explaining why and what KETO is. If you are reading this, you know.
People find it exceedingly difficult to be on KETO and follow a Hashimoto protocol. It is not just the thyroid that is a problem though. KETO is usually very heavy on meat, and this is a problem for people with high uric acid and gout disease. Even Tibetan medicine cannot reverse gout so be careful! When your blood glucose is high, you also want to watch your dairy intake. So basically, all these three problems could very well be combined into a Hashimoto protocol. Now, people may have differences in their protocols, but they are pretty much the same when it comes to dairy. The problem is that many people, women especially have a problem with other hormones as well and form cystic ovaries. Insulin is the prime reason for this problem, and weight most of the time (which is an insulin problem as well, broadly said), and this drags along testosterone and progesterone. When you have this issue, you must be careful of your meat intake, especially if you are on medication that raises your estrogen to keep your periods regular. Meat is not a friend of estrogen! But if you have big appetite, we cannot exclude it entirely or you may starve!
So, how do we do this? I know the internet is full of opinions. When I started creating products and plans it was because I wanted to give a meaning to my restaurant job. While I was in America my job had a meaning, I was helping sick people get paid by the insurance companies, making the companies fly needed medications at times when needed, I had a purpose. I love the restaurant I created, but it was not the same! So, once I realized the power of food, I put all my effort and passion in it! Not just getting licensed, I do not believe in theory that much, I needed to see it with my own eye! So, what I will share has been tested by my own hand! Before that I would like to tell you that not every plan works for everybody. I must adjust plans all the time. Keep in mind that what I am publishing here is aimed to cover most people, taking into consideration some of the most common problems I meet, but while it may be ok for 80-90% of the population, you might fall in the other 10%. So, listen to your body and to your doctor! Hopefully, you have a real one, who has a heart in addition to her/his diploma!
The food plan aims at delivering all needed nutrients for the day, while being low carb! If you are a person with the above-mentioned problems, and you need to cut down more on meat, talk to your doctor about Iron injections, because Iron is the only not sufficient micro-nutrient here, because we are trying to fit in a plan that cannot cause harm in general. Also remember, that my program calculates the needed nutrients on a 2000 kcal per day diet, and here we are talking about 1200-1300 kcals, so 30% of iron is more like 50% iron. Still, not 100% iron, though. Remember also that people who are not eating a lot of carbs need less vitamins and minerals that otherwise carbs clear out (read my blog #1 on this if you would like more info). With all these in mind, here is the day plan with full recipes!
Breakfast: 335kcals (tea or coffee with a bit of non-dairy milk and Erythritol is fine)
1 Large Egg,
100g of spinach (if you have kidney stones or high calcium, substitute with asparagus or broccoli cooked 4 min)
14g of ghee butter (people with high cholesterol substitute with coconut oil)
After breakfast take two crystals Himalayan salt and drink them like pills with water for electrolyte supplementation!
You can very quickly, for 2 min sauté the spinach in the ghee butter, then add the egg, or just have it separately. Add some Himalayan salt to all the above, here is your breakfast. If you are a woman over 75kg, add one more egg. If you are a man, you can do 40% more from everything, if you are over 100kg, just double it! Spinach could be frozen, does not matter, but you can use 20% if frozen to account for the water.
Note: If you think that this breakfast will be small for you, double it if you must! It is the most important meal of the day; it sets your insulin straight and it tames your hunger! You want to fast? Wait till you are within 10% of your ideal weight! Not now! And not ever while you have a hormonal issue of any sort!
20min before lunch 5g of husk meal with two cups of semi-hot water (adds needed fiber, cleans out cholesterol and sugar, helps heal the lining of the intestines, makes insulin speed slow down)
Lunch: 430 kcals
Tomato Chia Soup 230ml (tomato sauce with no added sugar 150g, water 120g, chia seeds 10g, dry oregano and basil, fresh even better; erythritol as you wish, Himalayan salt as you wish, ½ tablespoon of coconut oil)
100g of grilled Chicken Breast with 14g of ghee butter +the juice from ¼ lemon
100g steamed broccoli (4 min steaming so they can be crunchy)
½ Bulgarian Green Salad (50g lettuce, 5g scallions, 10g radishes, 25g cucumbers, ½ tablespoon olive oil, apple cider vinegar and Himalayan salt to your liking, hopefully you get some nice real vinegar, ½ large, boiled egg)
After lunch take two crystals Himalayan salt and drink them like pills with water for electrolyte supplementation!
20min before lunch 5g of husk meal with two cups of semi-hot water (adds needed fiber, cleans out cholesterol and sugar, helps heal the lining of the intestines, makes insulin speed slow down). If it turns out that you hate it you can take 6 capsules of husk instead.
Snack: 116 kcal
3 Rossi’s Pure Chocolate Biscuits as energy booster and to curb your cravings and adds good fat so you can enter ketosis.
Dinner: 432 kcal
Salmon 150g (steamed with any herbs you like) with ¼ lemon juice freshly squeezed if possible)
2 x ½ Bulgarian Green Salad (100g lettuce, 10g scallions, 20g radishes, 50g cucumbers, 1 tablespoon olive oil, apple cider vinegar and Himalayan salt to your liking, hopefully you get some nice real vinegar, ½ large, boiled egg)
After dinner take two crystals Himalayan salt and drink them like pills with water for electrolyte supplementation!
Carbs 46g minus 26g of fiber equals 20g of keto carbs
Sodium, Potassium, both are at 100%+ of the daily dose required,
Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Calcium are at least 2x the needed daily dose.
Iron is at 34% (hence my note there but will try to compensate tomorrow)
Calories 1313 kcals
Before counting NET keto carbs, we are at 14% Carbs, Fat 58%, and Protein at 28%.
Do not get stuck at the 14% carbs piece, after you take out the fiber you are in an ideal ratio!
- Lemon juice is there not only to break the purine from the meat and fish so the body does not let it crystallize and form gout problems, it is also there for Vitamin C and electrolytes.
- The Himalayan salt is there for minerals to help you fulfill your daily needs of minerals and mostly electrolytes! Switching to ketosis comes with the “flu” and keeping your electrolytes will be your vaccine!
- Breakfast and Snacks are important in the beginning! Do not skip them. Most overweight people do not have breakfast and they annoy their insulin and hormones! Eat! Start with one egg if you must, even if not hungry! It helps the gall bladder empty the toxins gathered from the night sleep and it fires up your metabolism! Fasting is not for beginners. It is not even for intermediates if they have the above listed problems! You do not believe it? Try it! I have tested it repeatedly over more than 500 people over the past three years!
- Having just coffee in the morning cleans out the iron from your body. You add your cigarette or milk and then you wonder why your thyroid is acting? Milk stops iron from being absorbed! So, you burn the candles from both ends!
- In the beginning when starting, you do not really have to count anything. The likelihood of overeating on…broccoli Is slim… Be aware though of your meat intake! If you must eat double that, then spread it out, do not consume at once so that the body can cope with the purine!
- The soup is important, do not skip it! It is not a just a filler, it is a nutrient dense food and supplies again electrolytes!
- Do drink at least 3 liters a day of clean water. That does not include tea or coffee! Ease on the green tea and coffee! Green tea may be good as an antioxidant, but in the beginning it will only annoy your adrenals and they will raise your insulin, and this will stop your weight loss! You can have it later and really, do not overdo it! Like everything, one is good, two may be a bit more! Thyme tea is nicer tasting, and it is also loaded with Vitamin C and it will not annoy your adrenals, and it will not hurt your stomach and you can drink it endlessly! And you do not have to go to China for it, it rows freely in the Bulgarian mountains!
So here is your Monday start with 20g of net carbs, delicious food and a pack full of needed nutrients! You can choose any day to start! The sooner the better!
You do not have to be on keto to eat healthy! If you are just looking for a plan to get your needed nutrients, well add an apple to the mix and you are right there!